Metro Continuing Education: International Students
English Language Institute: International Students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

If I am visiting Canada, can I study English at Metro Continuing Education?

You may study at Metro Continuing Education without having to apply for a Study Permit if you are planning to study in a short-term program of 6 months or less. Registrations are accepted year-round. However, if you think that you might want to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, we recommend that you apply for a Study Permit before you come to Canada. The reason for this is that it is not possible to change from Visitor's Visa status to Study Permit status from within Canada – the application for change must be made from outside of Canada. Note that if you apply for a Study Permit to study in Canada, you will also need to apply for a Visitor's Visa if you are a citizen of any of the countries for which a Visitor's Visa is required to visit or transit in Canada. Check with your local Immigration Office.

How do I apply for a Study Permit from outside of Canada to study at Metro Continuing Education?
  • Choose the program(s) that you want to study. (Usually, full-time programs are more acceptable when applying for a Study Permit.)
  • Print the application and registration form from our website.
  • Complete the application form and add up the total cost of your courses and other applicable fees.
  • Complete the registration form. Follow the instructions on the application form for sending both the registration and the application form and payment to our office.
  • To avoid delays in processing your application, please remember to send ALL of the following to our office:
    • your completed application form
    • your completed registration form
    • fee payment for your courses and other applicable fees (You can pay by cheque, money order, Master Card or Visa, or bank transfer)

After receiving your application, our office will send you an official acceptance letter, which you should take to your immigration office in your country to apply for your Study Permit, and Temporary Resident Visa if required.

If I want to study at Metro Continuing Education for longer than 6 months, how long a period does the acceptance letter cover?

You will need to apply for a Study Permit. The acceptance letter covers only the period of study for which you paid. Usually the length of the study period that Immigration allows depends on the length of the courses for which you would like to register, and your ability to maintain yourself financially while you are in Canada.

How soon do I need to apply?

If you are applying from outside of Canada, we recommend that you send us your application and registration forms with payment at least 3 months before you intend to start your studies, to allow enough time to obtain your permit and visa.

What if I am already in Canada on a Study Permit or other type of visa, and I want to study at Metro Continuing Education?

If you are already in Edmonton, bring your Passport and Study Permit or visa to our English Language Institute office. You can fill out an Application and Registration form in person. If you are in Canada but not in Alberta, contact our office for details on how to apply. Your documents will be reviewed to ensure you are eligible for our program.

Will I receive a refund if I made my application, registration and payment of fees, but then I am not able to obtain a Study Permit, or if I am unable to begin classes as I had originally planned?

If you were denied a study permit and you received an acceptance letter from Metro, you will be required to return the original Metro acceptance letter along with the Immigration Refusal Documentation. The processing fee and application fee are non-refundable. No refund will be issues after the start date.

If you are unable to begin classes as planned, we can transfer your fee payment to another session for future studies (one time only), or we can issue you a refund of the tuition and material fee payments, less a $250 processing fee and the non-refundable $40 registration fee.

Where do the students come from who attend English classes at Metro Continuing Education?

During any one session, our students come from over 60 different countries from all around the world. Our classes are made up of a good mixture of students from different countries. We encourage all of our students to speak and practice English as much as possible while they are at our school.

How large are your classes?

The class sizes range from eight to twenty three students depending on the type of program.

How many levels of English as a Second Language are there in each ESL Program?

We currently offer seven levels of ESL, from ESL Level 1 to ESL Level 6 followed by the Secondary Transitional English Program (STEP).

Do all programs have a pre-test?

Yes. All students are tested to determine their placement level so that they can be placed in the most appropriate class available to meet their learning needs.

What should I do to get a letter of acceptance?

Once an application has been made and received by our office, then a letter of acceptance and a welcome letter will be issued.

How do I find out more information?

You can contact us by emailing, calling 1.780.917.8653 or faxing 1.780.421.9773.

Metro Continuing Education